Putting It In Place – A #DigiCon15 Reflection.

Change the game concept, words on blackboard

OK. It’s been a little over a week now and it’s time to have a sit back and proper think about my DLTV #DigiCon15 experience.

Usually after attending an event of some description, I try not to comment or reflect too heavily immediately after. I find that from the high and or low that is experienced that can often cloud your judgement of said event.

Usually also, i tend to write a massive ramble about my experience and turn a blog post into something resembling that of the ‘old testament.’

So in doing this a little differently I am going to throw up 5 actions that i’ll be implementing, embedding, adopting, integrating, forcing on to others…. 😉 etc, from the DLTV #DigiCon15 Conference. It is all good and proper to think back to what and who you heard, think about the key messages that perhaps resonated with you based on the inspiring stories, and presentations you witnessed, however how often do we go to a professional learning experience and do nothing afterwards? I know that I have been very guilty of that over the years. The steps of;

• You attend.
  • You listen.
  • You become inspired.
  • You feel empowered.
  • You leave on a high.
  • You do nothing.

It’s not a great way to go about things. Especially not from a conference such as #DigiCon15 where the experience and expertise in attendance was as massive as what it was.

1. Ask More “Why” Questions.

Inspiration: Hamish Curry.

It’s simple. I plan to ask more ‘why’ questions. Correction, I will ask more ‘why’ questions. ‘Why’ is not asked enough in schools. Too often we simply conform to being told what we are doing with no great reasoning, or structure, behind it. by asking ‘why’ it challenges those to think more carefully about implementing new things. On the flip side, I will also be asking ‘why’ more in often in relation to what I am doing. Is what I do making a difference? Is the reasoning/thought process behind what I am doing justified? Will the outcomes outweigh the effort? And so on…

Links: @hamishcurryhttp://notosh.com/

2. Tell My Story, More Often, More Locally.

Inspiration: Ceila Coffa

How often do we share our stories with our colleagues? Really. I work with people day in day our who have been in the education game now for god only knows how long and i’ve no idea of their experiences, knowledges in particular areas, schools worked in, challenges faced, challenges overcome, … Telling my story and what I have been through is for the most part this blog. This is where I reflect and share my educational/professional journey. It would be a safe bet to say that those who read it do not share an office with me or even go to the same school. Now that is fine, however, I believe that from what Celia discussed in her presentation that the power that can come from sharing your story is extremely powerful. To have something to reflect on that guides future decisions is very important and therefore if I can share my knowledge based on what I have done previously, then that I believe is a good thing.

Links: @ccoffahttp://ccoffa.edublogs.org/

3. Get #Quickmaking

Inspiration: Aaron Davis

Yes, we know it’s not about the tools. But hey… the tools certainly help and more certainly enable students and teachers to leverage traditional pedagogy and learning in ways that was perhaps not once a reality! Aaron’s presentation on #quickmakes was fantastic. The way in which digital means can be utilised to help teachers and students engage with technology was very powerful. Having staff and students engaging in #quickmakes enables you to really celebrate the small wins that are being had within your setting. My plan is to share and drive this notion of #quickmakes, #digimakes, etc… with my staff. To have them and their students engage in these for whatever reason (i’ll need to ask myself why…) will yield some great examples of leveraging digital technologies!

Links: @mrkrndvshttp://readwriterespond.com/Aaron’s #quickmakes Resources

4. Challenge and Be Challenged

Inspiration: Anne Edmondson

Anne’s keynote messages of take risks, challenge others, and be challenged was done so in an engaging and entertaining way, she is a comedian after all! In thinking about her messages, I found myself asking how often and I challenged, how often and in what ways do I challenge others, and more importantly, how often to I challenge myself? So out of this I will make sure that I am challenging others in ways that build their practice and capacity but also challenge myself in ways that would normally would not fall in my ‘zone of comfort!’. How this looks… time will tell.

Links: @anneedmonds1http://www.anneedmonds.com/

5. Be A Disruptive Pain In The …

Inspiration: Anthony Speranza.

Anthony’s presentation on ‘Disruptive Thinking in Education’ was great and one that I felt that a lot of school leaders and principals would do well listening too. The messages on reinventing, reinvigorating and rethinking our education system all lead to the ideation of disruptive innovation. An idea that should perhaps be common practice, or atleast I’d like to think so. What I absolutely love about this way of thinking is that it break the shackles or what is perceived as the norm. It asks educators and ed leaders to think beyond what they know and what they might be able to achieve. So from here on in i’ll be disrupting up a storm, challenging the status quo and trying to shift paradigms for the better.

Links: @anthsperanzahttp://anthsperanza.global2.vic.edu.au/, Anthony’s DLTV Presentation

I’ll you posted as to how I am progressing. 🙂

2 thoughts on “Putting It In Place – A #DigiCon15 Reflection.

1. Gee, and here was me thinking that you were just sitting up the back of my session checking your emails;) What I like about the idea of Quickmakes is that it allows teachers/learners to not only explore a new tool, but also be creative. I credit Tom Barrett for the inspiration and his discussion about constraint. I had never thought of limits as being a positive, but what I found was when you limited the variabilities then it allowed more focus on creativity.

In addition to this, what I like about Quickmakes as a model is that it provides a context in which people can easily talk and share. I think that the challenge is to create conditions were people can ask questions. I wrote a reflection last year on the Melbourne GAFE Summit (http://readwriterespond.com/?p=19) about the potential to make PD what you want if only you ask. Are we too polite? Shy? Lazy? Unsure? Anything that can break down any of these barriers is a good thing to me.

If you have any thoughts on how the model could be improved, changed, remixed, adapted, forked, I’d love to know, because at the end of the day, it takes a village.

• Appearances can be deceiving Aaron and thanks for commenting. I think the idea of Quickmakes, or the process there of, has been around for god only knows how long but to actually give it a title and to then also perhaps be able to quantify it is powerful thinking, and practice. I’m am keen to delve further in to this model of yours and to see how ‘The Village’ can support it!