A Reminder More So Than A Lesson Learned…

It’s be a week now, a solid week in fact, that I have begun 2017 in a new school surrounded by new colleagues and new students. It’s been a week in which I have learnt a ridiculous amount about the way in my new school operates. You’d be forgiven for thinking that schools all run in a similar fashion with similar processes and protocols in place, because, that is not the case. Not always anyway.

I spent last weekend thinking about my first week and reflecting on what impact I had made in my very short time there thus far. The relationships that I had started to forge, the impact that my role as curriculum leader had already had, if any, and what I needed to work towards strategically, technically and just about everything in between. There was and is one thing however that I keep coming back to that has very strongly reminded me why I began working in schools in the first place, and why I am sure i’ll continue to work in schools until the time arrives, which is a very very long way away, until I reach retirement age.

That reminder being: as an educator, for most kids, their teacher is their world. Their teacher is someone who they look up to with great admiration and care. Their teacher is someone who kids love to engage with, share stories with (no matter how personal, albeit innocent, in some cases!), interact with, learn from and learn with. That as teachers, we have a power, a pull to mould, guide and inspire kids to be whatever it is they want to be, no matter their age or the challenges that lie ahead.

All of this is once again, not knew to me. However, being back in a classroom teaching a group of amazing young people has reminded me of this, in a strong way. Seeing also the way in which teachers at my school interact with their students, as just about all teachers do in all settings, proves my point that teachers in their profession are the ones have the greatest impact on a young person’s life, second only to their parents and or guardians.

For me, as a reminder, I find all of that, still, pretty bloody amazing!

One thought on “A Reminder More So Than A Lesson Learned…

1. Interesting reflection. Hattie talks about teacher, teacher, teacher, but that is only because he chooses to ignore other things. I think that they make a difference, but so do many things (http://readwriterespond.com/?p=2776).
    I once taught at an indigenous school. I was important for the boys on my class, but nothing was going to replace their culture and community in my opinion.