The HUGE Four!

At times we need to sit back, think, reflect, and refocus our attention on what matters and what makes an impact in our settings. Working in schools causes us at times to lose sight of the bigger picture and we go through the motions doing what we do thinking we’re on top of it all when in fact we may not be. And that is no ones fault. Teaching is a chaotic profession, and as I have said multiple times in various spaces, here included, it is (arguably) one of the most difficult professions to master.

Like all schools, we are working internally to an annual implementation plan that has been developed. This is to focus our efforts on the school making an impact in areas which need to be reviewed, started, or have been identified as high priority, all to ensure we are achieving the best possible outcomes for our students.

Over the past four weeks in my setting we’ve gone back to investigate what we know as the ‘Big 4’, which is largely based on the work of Prof. John Hattie and his Visible Learning work in particular. In listing the Big 4 we have;

• Learning Intentions
  • Success Criteria
  • Quality Tasks
  • Effective Feedback

Further to support the impact of the ‘Big 4’ and this way thinking that is embedded and heavily adopted in schools across the country, is the linked article from Australian Society for Evidence Based Teaching titled; ‘8 Strategies Robert Marzano & John Hattie Agree On‘. I am not sure what they both ‘disagree’ on but hey, i’ll take this as a supporting start! 

The first 4 of their agreed strategies link directly o the ‘Big 4’ and the impacts seen in schools when they are adhered to effective adopted. What I have embedded below are the four presentations that I led staff through. These were designed to remind, reeducate, and have staff rethinking WHY and HOW we are adopting these instructional strategies, as well as, when adopted successfully, the impact that they can have.

There is certainly no shortage of evidence based research that links directly to the above. Research that that supports this as purposeful work in any setting and work from my point of view that should always be revisited. Enjoy.

1. Learning Intentions.

2. Success Criteria

3. Quality Tasks

4. Effective Feedback