More Lessov, Less Morov.

Patience is not one of my strong points, unfortunately. It simply never has been.

I hate waiting in lines. I dislike fishing for the most part. I even would rather go and pick up my pizza order than wait for it to be delivered. And I do occasionally.

This morning, and boy was it timely, freakishly in fact, I read Seth Godin’s blog post Deliberately Lo-Fi. As Seth (first name basis) states, “Much of this is driven by the need to squeeze more and more stuff into a narrow pipe combined with a cultural desire for more instead of better.”

I have been thinking a lot lately about the need to do more, fit more in, get it all done, and possibly due to my impatience, I am sure. I spoke a lot about during our period of remote learning that what I felt just us through that, and indeed for my own school, was that we placed far greater emphasis on doing fewer things, but doing those fewer things a whole lot better.

If I can guarantee that if having children of my own has taught me one thing at all, it is patience (more so than what I had). Having to find the other shoe, get a jumper on, look for the lost toy, listen to countless requests, stories, demands, wait whilst they finish their dinner, or breakfast, or lunch… and so on… has slowly enabled me to better at waiting. At being patient.

I still have some way to go, and that too is a guarantee, however, I have been able to take my ever-developing capacity to be patient and transition this across to my work as Assistant Principal.

The need as a school leader to collectively and collaboratively identify what matters most, and then to work towards that, whatever that may be, is crucial. The need to step back, slow down, plan accordingly, and move on, is now how I generally see things. Trying to get it ‘all done yesterday’ simply does not work. And never will.

I have previously talked about with my staff, as well as at conferences I have presented at, the 3 Russian Brothers and their Cousin. Their names being:

• Morov. (What do you need to do more of?).
  • Lessov. (What do you need to do less of?)
  • Ridov. (What do you need to get rid of?)
  • Tossin. (What can you toss in?)

From here on in I think I will disown Tossin as we need to part ways, indefinitely. Ridov can hang around. Lessov too. And as for Morov… I’ll only be conversing with him after I have held deep and meaningfuls with his two brothers.

Here’s to doing better instead of more.

Published by

2 Replies to “More Lessov, Less Morov.

1. Interesting reflection Corrie. I concur in regards to patience and I only have two.

Your ‘Russian brothers’ reminds me in part of a post by Tom Barrett on innovation compression, where you need to take something away in order to add something in:

“We need to avoid innovation compression by clearing the way, closing existing programmes and providing people the resources they need to make things work.”

I sometimes wonder about those brothers and how much sway I have over them? As Harper Lee once wrote:

“You can choose your friends but you sho’ can’t choose your family, an’ they’re still kin to you no matter whether you acknowledge ’em or not, and it makes you look right silly when you don’t.”